Student Login Procedures
Username: first initial of first name + last name + last five digits of CCSJ ID Number (not social security number)
Password: CCSJ ID Number
Faculty Login Procedures
Username: first initial of first name + last name
Password: last five digits of CCSJ ID Number Faculty Only
*If you do not know your CCSJ ID Number, it is located on the top center of your report card and on your Student ID card.
*If your last name is hyphenated, type it in without the hyphen. Example:Lynn Walker-Jones would be lwalkerjones00000.
*If you have a double last name without a hyphen then your username will be both names run together. Example: Ann Van Dyke would be avandyke00000.
Attention Blackboard Instructors: You are now able to copy your own courses
The copy course feature allows you to take an already existing course and copy components of the existing course into the new course. This is a great feature for instructors who teach the same course(s) from semester to semester.
Contact Blackboard Support at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a one-on-one training session on the Blackboard Learning System.
Simply stated distance education is instruction that occurs when the instructor and student are separated by distance or time, or both. Distance learning is a process that extends learning or the delivery of instruction to locations away from the physical location of the instructor and beyond the time constraints of the class period. Distance learning provides a more flexible approach to learning. Instruction is delivered using video, audio, computer, multimedia communications, or some combination of these with other traditional delivery methods.
Many courses at Calumet College of St. Joseph are supplemented with online instruction through Blackboard. Other courses are delivered solely online.
Minimum Computer Requirements for Distance Learning Participation
- Pentium II processor or higher is recommended
- Windows XP with Internet Explorer 6.0 or with Firefox 1.5
- Windows 2000 with Internet Explorer 6.0 or with Firefox 1.5
- Macintosh 10.2 / 10.3 / 10.4 with default version of Safari or with Firefox 1.5
- Macromedia Flash Player 8
- The security settings for the browser should be set to "low"
- The popup blocker settings for the browser must always be set to turn off popup blocker
- Optimal screen resolution to view the course is 1152 by 864 pixels
- It is recommended that you use a 256 kbps or faster broadband Internet connection
- Software Requirements: Download plug-INS, players and viewers. Be sure you have the right technology at your fingertips. This includes a Web browser and appropriate plug-ins.
Frequently Asked Questions
Blackboard is an electronic learning platform that our instructors use to supplement face-to-face instruction or to deliver online instruction. Blackboard can best be thought of as a course notebook into which faculty members place their course materials. Any type of files faculty choose to include in the "online course notebook" can be posted to Blackboard course web sites. Students have access to the course materials as long as they have access to the Internet and a helper application that will allow them to view the materials placed online. Examples include: Microsoft Word, Excel or Power Point files, Adobe Acrobat documents, Quick Time movies, or Real Audio/Video files.
Some of the ways students may use Blackboard in their courss include:
- View the syllabus
- Review the instructor's lecture presentation
- Communicate with instructors and fellow students using e-mail
- Share materials and ideas with other course participants via the Discussion Board or in chat rooms
- Submit and pick up assignments
- Check grades
- Take exams
- Link directly to helpful web sites that allow students to share experiences and get information in the global community.
If your last name is hyphenated, type it in without the hyphen. Example: Lynn Walker-Jones would be lwalkerjones00000. If you have a double last name without a hyphen then your username will be both names run together. Example: Ann Van Dyke would be avandyke00000.
If you do not know your CCSJ ID Number, it is located on the top center of your report card or come to the Library and have an CCSJ ID card made. If you have problems logging in, email email@example.com or call (219) 473-4366. If you have problems or concerns concerning the Blackboard system, contact Blackboard Support at BlackboardSupport@ccsj.edu.
If you are using AOL, establish an Internet connection. Then start another browser such as Internet Explorer or Netscape and access http://class.ccsj.edu.
To check the settings in Internet Explorer: Start Internet Explorer, select Tools and choose Internet Options. Click the Security tab. Medium level allows you to access Blackboard. If necessary, click on Default level to reset security to Medium.
To check the settings in Netscape: Start Netscape, select Edit and choose Preferences. Click on the Advanced category, and see that you have Java enabled and cookies accepted.
If you need help with your email login, contact Computer Services Help Desk at (219) 473-4366.